Ministry of Defence: Year End Review 2017
Enhancing safety and security of the country, providing humanitarian assistance and disaster relief during natural and man-made disasters, modernisation of the Armed Forces and supporting indigenisation and manufacturing of defence equipment through the ‘Make-in-India’ initiative have been the main features of the Ministry of Defence during 2017. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi dedicated the naval submarine INS Kalvari to the nation in December describing it as a prime example of ‘Make-in-India’.
Brahmos, the World’s fastest supersonic cruise missile created history in November 2017 when it was successfully flight-tested first time from the Indian Air Force’s frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI. The surface-to-air missile Akash was successfully launched. The first ever tri-services exercise INDIRA between India and Russia was conducted in October, 2017. The Ministry launched special campaign to celebrate Armed Forces Flag Day to honour the martyrs and the men in uniform.The week long campaign was a special initiative of the Raksha Mantri Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman to ensure full support to the welfare of the ex-servicemen and their families, a priority she enunciated immediately after taking over the charge of the Ministry.
Another flagship event of the year was the first ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by all-women crew on Indian Navy sailing vessel INSV Tarini.The Tarini was flagged off on 10th September 2017 and is expected to return to Goa in April 2018. The expedition titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikarma’ is in consensus with the national policy to give women power to attain their full potential. The search and rescue operation ‘Op Sahayam‘ continues to bring succour to the fishing community and seafarers affected by the Ockhi cyclone.
Related to Your Search:
- Vacant Posts in Defence Forces
- Latest strength of Indian Armed Forces…
- New Scheme for Special Dispensation Admission in Kendriya Vidyalayas
- Defence Forces up in arms against 7th Pay Commission Report
- Government not to allow defence representatives in pay panel, say sources
- DEFENCE – Raksha Mantri Reviews Operational and Procurement Matters of Armed Forces
- Armed forces demand representation on Central Pay Commission for better deal
- 7th Central Pay Commission Special hearing for Defence Forces
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved hike in scholarships for armed forces staff