Let veterans prove OROP stir is not politically motivated, says Parrikar
Arakkonam (TN): Terming the attempts by war veterans to burn medals as an insult to the nation and armed forces, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday said it was for protesting ex-service personnel to prove there was no political motive behind the OROP stir.
“If I say something, it will become an allegation. Let them prove that it is not political,” he told reporters in Arakkonam when asked if he saw a political link to continuing agitation despite the government’s response and notification on one rank, one pension (OROP) scheme.
“Medals are a recognition of the nation for the sacrifice done by the armed forces,” he said in reply to another query. “Burning and returning them is an insult to the nation and the defence forces,” Parrikar said.
The minister’s comments come in the wake of a section of the ex-service personnel expressing dissatisfaction on the ground that the OROP notification has not fully met their demands.
The government had on Saturday formally notified the OROP scheme for over 24 lakh ex-servicemen and six lakh war widows in the country.
“Medals are a recognition of bravery, for the service to the nation. It has nothing to do with service conditions whereas OROP is about service conditions. It does not say you are entitled for medals, it talks about service conditions like your pay and entitlement,” Parrikar said.
On the issue of grievances of protesting ex-servicemen, he said, “Let them put the demands before the judicial committee, they will address it.”
He said implementing OROP was BJP’s electoral promise and it had been fulfilled.
Related to Your Search:
- Ex-Servicemen Launch Protest Against One Rank One Pension Notification
- One Rank One Pension – Veterans to Return Medals Across the Country
- Government to issue OROP notification before Diwali says Parrikar
- Behaviour of ex-servicemen protesting the notification on OROP scheme is “unlike that of a soldier
- Kejriwal demands OROP to be implemented in its true essence
- OROP News: Government to issue notification on One Rank One Pension after Bihar polls – Manohar Parrikar
- One Rank, One Pension proposal this week
- One Rank One Pension (OROP) Veterans on fast for full OROP
- No VRS in defence services and so OROP will be applicable in PMR (Pre-mature Retirement)