Impact of long working hours on people working in Government offices
Whether the Government is aware of adverse impact of long working hours on people working in Government offices?
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL,PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO 4169
ANSWERED ON 19.02.2014
IMPACT OF LONG WORKING HOURS
4169 . Shri ANURAG SINGH THAKUR
Will the Minister of PERSONNEL,PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS be pleased to state:-
(a) whether the Government is aware of adverse impact of long working hours on people working in Government offices and certain Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs);
(b) if so, whether the attention of the Government has been drawn to the statement of the Chief of the New Economic Forum Think Tank according to which the working hours should be reduced to 30 hours to maintain good health and not to put family life at risk;
(c) if so, whether the Government is contemplating to reduce the working hours of Government servants;
(d) if so, the details thereof and the time by which it is likely to reconsider the working hours; and
(e) if not, the reasons therefor?
MINISTER OF THE STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCE AND PENSIONS AND MINISTER OF THE STATE IN THE PRIME MINISTER`S OFFICE (SHRI V. NARAYANASAMY)
(a) Government employees working in Central Government administrative offices observe 40 working hours per week in 5 day week system. The 6th Central Pay Commission had separately examined this aspect and observed that since this system provides more time to the employees for rest and recreation while enabling them to fulfil their domestic and social obligations and actually contributes to their physical and mental well-being and consequently to increase of efficiency, it should continue. In the Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) the working hours are governed by the appropriate labour laws.
(b) to (e) In view of (a) above, does not arise.
Related to Your Search:
- Extension of working hours of Central Government employees
- Dopt Minister replied in Parliament about 5 Day Week for Central government offices
- Dopt advised to upload ‘Working Hours, Holidays, Public Dealing Hours on the websites of Indian Government
- Recommendation of GDS Committee on rationalisation of working hours of Branch Post Offices
- Kendriya Vidyalayas set to switch to 5-day week for primary classes
- JCM Meeting of KVS : Introduction of 5 days week in KVS
- Working Hours of KV Teachers – KVS Order
- One day paid weekly off for casual workers-implementation of the Order of Hon’ble CAT, Ahmedabad bench in the OA No. 214 of 2003 filed by Smt. Bhikaben Pratapbhai Prajapati
- Bankers demand 5 days week, NUBE submitted memorandum