Government will soon start the selection process for the new PFRDA chairman
The government will soon start selection process for a new chairman of pension fund regulator PFRDA to succeed the present chief, Hemant G Contractor, whose term is slated to end in April.
“The Finance Ministry will soon come out with an advertisement to find a successor to head the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA),”
Contractor’s term will be completed on April 30, 2019.
PFRDA was re-constituted into a statutory body after notification of PFRDA Act in 2014.
Contactor is the first Chairman to head the regulatory body. He had joined PFRDA on October 7, 2014.
As per the Act, the chairman will have a tenure of 5 years or till age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Contractor was previously held the post of SBI managing director before being appointed as the PFRDA Chairman.
The pension fund regulator has reached a subscriber base of 2.65 crore in its flagship National Pension System (NPS) and Atal Pension Yojana (APY) schemes and hopes to cover nearly 2.72 crore subscribers by the end of the current financial year.
The APY, mainly targeting the unorganised sector employees, offers five slabs of pension from Rs 1,000 – Rs.5,000 per month upon retirement. Employees in the age bracket of 18-40 years can sign up for an APY account.
NPS is a voluntary defined contribution retirement savings scheme for government employees as well as for those working in the organised and unorganised sectors.
Related to Your Search:
- PFRDA: Let government staffs pension funds to invest 50% in equities
- Panel to submit report on one regulator for pension products
- Government May Allow Employees To Raise NPS Fund In Stocks Soon
- Tax exemption for withdrawals under the National Pension System (NPS)
- Information sought by PFRDA on existing pension/superannuation schemes from CPSEs
- 7th Pay Commission to get Cabinet nod soon, here’s why you will get 10 per cent less arrears in hand
- Govt may relax norms for joining New Pension Scheme for PSU Employees
- Number of Subscribers Registered Under National Pension System (NPS) has more than Doubled
- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill-2011