Minutes of the 48th meeting of the National Council (JCM) held on 26.06.2021 vide DoP&T OM No.3/4/2021-JCA dated 14th July 2021
5.15 Item No.NC-48/9/21: Grant of Compassionate Allowance to the widows of Employees dismissed/removed from service. (D/ o P&PW).
Explaining the issue, Secretary, D/ o P&PW, explained that the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972 provide for payment of Compassionate Allowance to employees dismissed or removed, if the case deserves special consideration. Cases in which the widows of employees, dismissed and removed, have applied for Compassionate Allowance which has not been considered on the ground that there is no such provision in Rule 41 of CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972. Compassionate Allowance may be sanctioned to widows of the dismissed and removed employees on humanitarian grounds, in cases where such an employee has rendered more than 10 years qualifying service before dismissal/ removal. He also stated that an amendment in CCS (Pension) Rules is under consideration, wherein it is proposed that Disciplinary Authority may examine every case, and make a decision regarding grant of Compassionate Allowance, within three months after the date of issue of the order imposing the penalty of dismissal or removal from service. A provision in the Rules to also consider past cases (which were not considered earlier) within a period of 3 months from the date of notification of the revised Rules is also under consideration.
Shri C. Sri Kumar, member, Staff Side, specifically mentioned the cases of those deceased employees, whose applications remain undecided, and whose widows may be considered for a grant of Family Pension.
Decision: The chairman directed D/ o P&PW to take a decision in the matter at the earliest, and then the item may be treated as closed.
What is Compassionate Allowance?
(i) A Government servant who is dismissed or removed from service shall forfeit his pension and gratuity:
Provided that the authority competent to dismiss or remove him from service may, if the case is deserving of special consideration, sanction a compassionate allowance not exceeding two-thirds of pension or gratuity or both which would have been admissible to him if he had retired on compensation pension.
(ii) A compassionate allowance sanctioned under the proviso to sub-rule (i) shall not be less than Rs. 9,000/- p.m.
Related to Your Search:
- Whether leave encashment can be sanctioned to a Govt servant on his superannuation while under suspension
- Leave Encashment on Suspension/Dismissal/Removal – Dopt Clarification Orders
- MoD – Processing of Mercy Petition for grant of service pension under Pension Regulations
- Penalties on railway employees for dismissal / elimination or degradation violation of provisions of the Indian Constitution
- Imposition of penalties of dismissal, removal or compulsory retirement – Determination of appointing authority reg.
- High Court sets aside government order dismissing employee on theft charge
- Review of compassionate appointment cases regarding: Clarification by Ministry of Defence
- Revision of provisional pension sanctioned under Rule 69 of the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972
- Revision of Provisional pension sanctioned under Rule 69 of the CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972