CCS LEAVE RULES 1972
TABLE OF CONTENT
- SHORT TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT.
- EXTENT OF APPLICATION.
- GOVERNMENT SERVANTS ON TEMPORARY TRANSFER OR ON FOREIGN SERVICE.
- TRANSFER FROM SERVICES OR POSTS GOVERNED BY OTHER LEAVE RULES.
- TRANSFER TO INDUSTRIAL ESTABLISHMENT.
- RIGHT TO LEAVE.
- REGULATION OF CLAIM TO LEAVE.
- EFFECT OF DISMISSAL, REMOVAL OR RESIGNATION ON LEAVE AT CREDIT.
- COMMUTATION OF ONE KIND OF LEAVE INTO ANOTHER.
- COMBINATION OF DIFFERENT KINDS OF LEAVE.
- MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF CONTINUOUS LEAVE
- ACCEPTANCE OF SERVICE OR EMPLOYMENT WHILE ON LEAVE.
- APPLICATION FOR LEAVE.
- LEAVE ACCOUNT.
- VERIFICATION OF TITLE TO LEAVE.
- LEAVE NOT TO BE GRANTED IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
- GRANT OF LEAVE ON MEDICAL CERTIFICATE TO GAZETTED AND NONGAZETTED GOVERNMENT SERVANTS.
- LEAVE TO A GOVERNMENT SERVANT WHO IS UNLIKELY TO BE FIT TO RETURNTO DUTY.
- COMMENCEMENT AND TERMINATION OF LEAVE.
- COMBINATION OF HOLIDAYS WITH LEAVE.
- RECALL TO DUTY BEFORE EXPIRY OF LEAVE.
- RETURN FROM LEAVE.
- ABSENCE AFTER EXPIRY OF LEAVE.
- EARNED LEAVE FOR GOVERNMENT SERVANTS SERVING IN DEPARTMENTS OTHER THAN VACATION DEPARTMENTS.
- CALCULATION OF EARNED LEAVE.
- EARNED LEAVE FOR PERSONS SERVING IN VACATION DEPARTMENTS.
- HALF PAY LEAVE.
- COMMUTED LEAVE
- LEAVE NOT DUE
- EXTRAORDINARY LEAVE
- LEAVE TO PROBATIONER, A PERSON ON PROBATION AND AN APPRENTICE.
- PERSONS RE-EMPLOYED AFTER RETIREMENT.
- LEAVE PREPARATORY TO RETIREMENT.
- ENCASHMENT OF EARNED LEAVE ALONG WITH LEAVE TRAVEL CONCESSION WHILE IN SERVICE.
- LEAVE/CASH PAYMENT IN LIEU OF LEAVE BEYOND THE DATE OF RETIREMENT, COMPULSORY RETIREMENT OR QUITTING OF SERVICE.
- CASH EQUIVALENT OF LEAVE SALARY IN CASE OF DEATH IN SERVICE.
- CASH EQUIVALENT OF LEAVE SALARY IN CASE OF INVALIDATION FROM SERVICE.
- PAYMENT OF CASH EQUIVALENT OF LEAVE SALARY IN CASE OF DEATH, ETC., OF GOVERNMENT SERVANT.
- CASH EQUIVALENT OF LEAVE SALARY IN CASE OF PERMANENT ABSORPTION IN PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKING/ AUTONOMOUS BODY
- WHOLLY OR SUBSTANTIALLY OWNED OR CONTROLLED BY THE CENTRAL/STATE GOVERNMENT.
- LEAVE SALARY.
- DRAWAL OF LEAVE SALARY.
- ADVANCE OF LEAVE SALARY.
- MATERNITY LEAVE
- PATERNITY LEAVE
- PATERNITY LEAVE FOR CHILD ADOPTION
- CHILD ADOPTION LEAVE
- CHILD CARE LEAVE
- WORK RELATED ILLNESS AND INJURY LEAVE
- SEAMEN’S SICK LEAVE
- SPECIAL LEAVE CONNECTED TO INQUIRY OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT.
- DEPARTMENTAL LEAVE
- CONDITIONS FOR GRANT OF STUDY LEAVE
- MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF STUDY LEAVE
- APPLICATIONS FOR STUDY LEAVE
- SANCTION OF STUDY LEAVE
- ACCOUNTING OF STUDY LEAVE AND COMBINATION WITH LEAVE OF OTHER KINDS
- REGULAR OF STUDY LEAVE EXTENDING BEYOND COURSE OF STUDY.
- LEAVE SALARY DURING STUDY LEAVE
- ADMISSIBILITY OF ALLOWANCES IN ADDITION TO STUDY ALLOWANCE.
- TRAVELLING ALLOWANCE DURING STUDY LEAVE.
- COST OF FEES FOR STUDY.
- RESIGNATION OR RETIREMENT AFTER STUDY LEAVE OR NON-COMPLETION OF THE COURSE OF STUDY.
- POWER TO RELAX
- REPEAL AND SAVING
- SCHEDULE AND FORMS
CENTRAL CIVIL SERVICES
CHAPTER I- Preliminary
1. Short title and commencement
(1) These rules may be called the Central Civil Services (Leave) Rules, 1972.
(2) They shall come into force on the 1st day of June, 1972.
2. Extent of application
Save as otherwise provided in these rules, these rules shall apply to Government servants appointed to the civil services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union, but shall not apply to –
- (a) Railway servants;
- (b) persons in casual or daily-rated or part-time employment;
- (c) persons paid from contingencies;
- (d) workmen employed in industrial establishments;
- (e) persons employed in work-charged establishments;
- (f) members of the All India Services;
- (g) persons locally recruited for service in Diplomatic, Consular or other Indian establishments in foreign countries;
- (h) persons employed on contract except when the contract provides otherwise;
- (i) persons in respect of whom special provisions have been made by or under the provisions of the Constitution or any other law for the time being in force;
- (j) persons governed, for purposes of leave, by the Fundamental Rules or the Civil Service Regulations;
- (k) persons serving under a Central Government Department, on deputation from a State Government or any other source, for a limited duration.
(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires-
- (a) Administrator ‖ means an Administrator of a Union Territory;
- (b) Audit Officer ‖ means the Accounts and Audit Officer, whatever his official designation, in whose circle the office of the Government servant is situated;
- (c) Authority competent to grant leave ‖ means the authority specified in Column (3) of the First Schedule to these rules, competent to grant the kind of leave specified in the corresponding entries in Column (2) of the said Schedule;
- (d) Completed years of service ‖ or – one year’s continuous service ‖ means continuous service of specified duration under the Central Government and includes the period spent on duty as well as on leave including extraordinary leave;
- (e) Date of retirement ‖ or – date of his retirement ‖ in relation to a Government servant, means the afternoon of the last day of the month in which the Government servant attains the age prescribed for retirement under the terms and conditions governing his services.
(MOF Notification No. 5(7)-E.IV(A)/75 dated 02.12.1975)
- (f) Department of the Central Government ‖ means a Ministry or a Department of the Central Government as notified from time to time and includes the Planning Commission, the Department of Parliamentary Affairs, the President‘s Secretariat, the Vice-President‘s Secretariat, the Cabinet Secretariat and the Prime Minister‘s Secretariat;
- (fa) “disability” means “specified disability”, “benchmark disability” and “disability having high support needs” as referred to in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (49 of 2016).
- (DOPT Notification No. No. 18017/l/2014-Estt. (L), dated 03.04.2018)
- (g) Foreign service ‖ means service in which a Government servant receives his pay with the sanction of Government fromany source other than the Consolidated Fund of India or the Consolidated Fund of any State [or the Consolidated Fund of a Union Territory];
- (h) Form ‖ means a Form appended to the Second Schedule to these rules;
- (i) Government servant in quasi-permanent employ ‖ means-
- (A) an officer who, having been declared by the Union Public Service Commission to be eligible for appointment to the ministerial Services of the Government of India, has been appointed to a temporary or officiating vacancy on the understanding given to him in writing before he took up the appointment, that that vacancy is expected to become permanent but is not confirmed after completion of three years continuous service;
- (B) an officer who may be declared as quasi-permanent under the Central Civil Services (Temporary Services) Rules, 1965.
- (j) Government servant in permanent employ ‖ means an officer who holds substantively or provisionally substantively a permanent post or who holds a lien on a permanent post or who would have held a lien on permanent post had the lien not been suspended;
- (k) Head of Mission ‖ means Ambassador, Charge d’ Affaires, Minister, Consul-General, High Commissioner or any other authority declared as such by the Central Government, in the country in which the Government servant undergoes a course of study or training;
- (l) Military Officer ‖ means an officer of the Armed Forces who is-
- (i) a Commissioned Officer of the Army, the Navy or the Air Force, or
- (ii) (a) a Junior Commissioned Officer (including an honorary commissioned officer), or an other rank’ of the Army, or (b) a Branch List Officer or rating of the Navy, or
- (c) an airman including a Master Warrant Officer of the Air Force;
- (m) Vacation Department ‖ means a department or part of a department, to which regular vacations are allowed, during which Government servants serving in the department are permitted to be absent from duty.
(2) Words and expressions used herein and not defined but defined in the Fundamental Rules and Supplementary Rules shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Fundamental Rules and Supplementary Rules.
4. Government servants on temporary transfer or on foreign service
- (1) Government servants to whom these rules apply shall continue to be governed by these rules while on temporary transfer to the Indian Railways or to a State Government or while on foreign service within India.
- (2) In the case of Government servants on foreign service outside India (including service with UN agencies within or outside India) or on temporary transfer to the Armed Forces of the Union, these rules shall apply only to the extent provided in the terms and conditions of foreign service or temporary transfer, as the case may be.
5. Transfer from services or posts governed by other leave rules Unless it be otherwise provided in these rules, a permanent Government servant to whom these rules do not apply –
(a) when transferred temporarily to a service or post to which these rules apply, shall remain subject to the leave rules which were applicable to him before such transfer; and Provided that where a Military Officer not in permanent civil employ has elected to draw civil rates of pay, his leave shall be regulated as per the provisions under these rules:
Provided further that in the event of his release/discharge from the Armed Forces, he shall carry forward the annual leave due to him with effect from the date of such release/discharge.
(DOPT Notification No. 11012/1/85-Estt.(L) dated 23.06.1987)
(b) when appointed substantively to a permanent post to which these rules apply, shall become subject to these rules from the date of such appointment, in which case the leave at his credit under the rules previously applicable to him shall be carried forward subject to the maximum limits of accumulation as laid down in Rule 26. The leave so carried forward shall first be exhausted before the leave earned under these rules is availed of. The leave salary in respect of the leave carried forward shall be borne by the (Department or the Government from which the Government servant proceeds on leave):
(DOPT Notification No. 14028/4/91-Estt.(L) dated 18.09.95)
Provided that in the case of Military Officer, half pay leave equal to the number of days of furlough shall also be carried forward in addition to the earned leave equal to the number of days of annual leave on the date he is so appointed, it would be permissible to grant him under the leave rules of the Armed Forces.
(DOPT Notification No. 11012/1/85-Estt.(L) dated 23.06.1987)
6. Transfer to industrial establishment
If a Government servant governed by these rules is appointed in an industrial establishment wherein his leave terms are governed by the Factories Act, 1948 (63 of 1948), the authority competent to grant leave shall, suo motu, issue an order granting cash equivalent of leave salary in respect of earned leave and half pay leave at his credit subject to a maximum of 300 days and the cash so granted shall be a sum equal to the leave salary as admissible for earned leave and leave salary as admissible for half pay leave plus dearness allowance admissible on that leave salary at the rate in force on the date the Government servant ceases to be governed by the provisions of the said rules:-
Provided that in the event of his return to a post or service to which the Central Civil Services (Leave) Rules, 1972 apply, the benefit of cash equivalent of leave salary payable under Rule 39 shall be modified as under –
- (a) On superannuation. – encashment of leave shall be subject to the condition that the number of days of both earned leave and half pay leave for which encashment has already been allowed under this rule and the number of days of earned leave and half pay leave to be encashed on superannuation does not exceed 300 days;
- (b) On premature retirement. – cash equivalent of unutilized earned leave and half pay leave should be subject to the condition that the number of days of earned leave and half pay leave for which encashment had already been allowed under this rule and the number of days of earned leave and half pay leave to be encashed on premature retirement shall not exceed 300 days.
(DOPT Notification No. 11012/1/2009- Estt.(L) dated 01.12.2009)